Over the next few month major tree felling and harvesting work will be done on hills above Helensburgh and Balloch. The works will interfere with the trails but there will be diversions in place and signs to show where to go, to keep people safe.
Over the last few years a lot of bad weather has blown a lot of trees down and its not good for landowners to have rotten trees and losing money. Plus it scars the land and also makes it unsafe near walking tracks, in case they fall on walkers.
I know come next year in March we will have a bare hill, but I think they will replant soon. The new trees that were planted last year near the Northfield Wood and Killoeter areas of the hill, the trees are nearly 3 to 4 ft.
I got some emails from Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park, who have been really good at corresponding, they have said:-
Harvesting work will be taking place from Dec and intoearly 2015
· Diversions will be in place and they will change as work progresses
· Banks men will be used
· Timber lorries frequency will be limited
· All signage will be updated for each piece of work as the contractors work their way through the windblown trees.
· Signage will be in place just beyond Stoneymollan, on the Helensburgh road and at both ends of the work area.
· Diversion and harvesting works have been agreed with WDC, SNH and NP
· Local access trust have been informed.
· More info on the JMW web site.